Zharkoe (жаркое) is a traditional Russian beef and potatoes stew. It’s usually cooked slowly, over a medium heat to let the meat become as tender as possible. The better the meat, the tastier the zharkoe. In Russian, zharkoe also literally means a ‘hot dish’. November is the perfect month to experiment with new hearty dishes… zharkoe is one you’ll come back to again and again.
Ingredients for preparation Zharkoe:
Prep Time: 15min | Cook Time: [totalTime content=”PT1H”]60min | Approx. 2 servings
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 lb beef
- bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Dice onions, cut carrots, peel and cut potatoes.
- Heat olive oil in medium pan and sautee onions until they are translucent. Remove and reserve.
- Add beef chunks to heated oil and fry on high for 2 min. Add onions, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots to beef, stir, salt and pepper to taste. Drop in pepper corns and bay leaves. Cover and let stew for 25 minutes.
- Drop in potatoes, add 2 cups of water, cover and let stew on low heat for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
Leave A Comment